Thursday, 26 June 2014

Fountains Abbey

We went to Fountains Abbey last weekend, which I've really wanted to visit since we moved to Yorkshire. It's one of the largest and best preserved Cistercian abbeys in England - and supposedly the most beautiful - and I was especially excited to see the cellarium, because I'm just a really thrilling person who gets excited about medieval monks and their living spaces. I don't think anything will ever beat the sun setting over Rievaulx (because that was just indescribable, oh my gosh) but the day came out lovely and the cellarium was just as beautiful as promised! (It was a sunny Sunday and should have been really busy, but I suppose everyone was inside watching the world cup?! Their loss. Either way, I managed to get plenty of people-free shots!)

The amazingly magical cellarium.

Couldn't resist a silhouetted self-timer selfie.

Stupidly large ice cream to complete the summery feeling!


Beth locates her residence of choice (nothing less than would befit her status, of course.)

Please note Beth's beautiful roller derby dress I acquired at BCUK from the wonderful Laura Kate!

Gavin in the cellarium.

Beth & me in the cellarium.

It's just enormous. The one photo I really wanted to take was The Photo I like to take when I visit somewhere - the panned out view of the entire thing - and I just couldn't get it, it was too huge, and when we walked out into the grounds, the summer haze was too thick to get a clear photo. The grounds are enormous too, and it's definitely more than we could cover in one afternoon. We'll be back. I will get my dream shot! (Armed with our absolute bargain £27 young person National Trust memberships, which we are very excited to get the most out of. A summer of ruins and stately homes awaits!)

alice
xxx

2 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds like you had an amazing day out, what an amazing place to visit. I love English history and all things old. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and your encouraging words. I smiled when I read your profile, so many thinks I love. Your Blythe girl is very sweet, how cool she got to come on your adventure. Hope you have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Always lovely to find a kindred spirit on the internet :) So glad to hear you're feeling better and hope to see you around the internetspace :D

      Delete