Thursday, 14 August 2014

Throwback Thursday: Undergraduate Adventures


It's A-Level results day today, and all the sproglings got their terrifying little envelopes! Bless. I do not envy you, sproglings. That was a scary envelope. It felt like a much bigger deal than maybe it should have. It's just an envelope. But that's easy to say, with six years between me and it!


My envelope took me to a very silly coastal town in Fife where I spent four weird years and I kinda miss it.






To future baby undergrads, I was (and still am!) a terrible student, but I'm offering my terrible advice anyway. You'd hope I'd have something to show after five years.
  • Buy a toastie maker. Even the super cheap ones are just magical
  • Do your dishes. A clean house is a harmonious house, trust me on this one.
  • If you haven't already, discover pesto.
  • If you don't go out and do the student thing every night, it's okay. Really. You're not the only one.
  • Watch your porridge when you microwave it. That stuff's like glue.
  • First year can be kinda chilled out, academically, but treat it as good practice and try hard. It pays off.
  • There are some things you can't skimp on, and one of those is chocolate spread. 
  • Get a spot in the library ASAP. 
  • Don't be intimidated by people who talk like they know everything. It's a skill, but it doesn't mean you're stupid or that they actually do. Some people are just good at talking. Ignore them.
  • Uh, unless they're your lecturers. They do know everything. Hang off their every word in as embarrassing a fashion as possible. 
  • Learn to love black tea and coffee, because remembering to buy milk is hard. Also, it's amazing. You miss half the flavour when you add milk!
  • Deadlines are only awful if you work right up to them. It's no way to live! Plan in advance, work during regular work hours, keep your evenings and weekends free. That way sanity lies, I promise.
  • If all else fails, two words: stress baking. Mug cakes are all well and good, but there's nothing quite like creaming butter and sugar together to work out your aggression. 

alice
xox

2 comments:

  1. I'm reminiscing now about my favourite lunch when I was a student - quiche, Bombay mix and a cup of earl grey (without milk of course!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm sounds studentastic! I got super into those fresh supermarket tortellini because they always on offer and took 2 minutes to cook. (With pesto, of course!!)

      Delete